Sunday, November 20, 2011

Lest We Forget

Today marks the 13th international transgendered day of remembrance. A day we remember those lives cut short by act of violence just because we are seen as less then human. A perception that is born by intolerance and bigotry, spread by close minded individuals that often use religion as a misguided weapon. The facts speak for themselves, a transgendered individual is 20 times more likely to be murdered then the average person and 1000 times more likely to be the victim of an aggravated assault.  All this despite being an almost invisible minority.
We hear you, sure you can express yourself , but don't use the bathroom in public because you prey on children. It's as stupid as saying don't leave your children around a catholic priest because he will molest them. It's all built on fear, lies and misinformation. We are routinely fired or let go by constructive dismissal. The loss of family and friends sometimes push a transgendered individual into an unhealthy or unsafe relationship for human contact. How can we in this day and age allow a person with a medical condition to be put into this kind of cycle.
For myself today I say a prayer for those who have lost those lives trying to be themselves. I say a prayer for the world to learn, accep tand break this cycle of abuse on your children, brothers, sisters,husbands and wives. I pray that we will break the intolerance and bigotry one day.
I mourn the loss of old friendships and what could have been.
I give thanks to those who chose to let me into those lives and showed me love and acceptance.
I celebrate my freedom, my life and my future.
BE WELL

No comments:

Post a Comment